Scimitar is an early to medium maturity hybrid spineless burr medic which has shown outstanding production potential for the Gulf Coast and Southern regions of Texas. Scimitar provides a new option on highly saline soils which are not subject to prolonged water logging. It grows more erect, has higher level of soft seed and increased forage production compared to other burr medics. This variety will provide increased forage production and pest resistance for low to medium rainfall areas on a wide range of slightly acidic to alkaline soils. It will provide high quality feed for either hay, grazing, or wildlife purposes.
In addition, Scimitar is able to fix high rates of nitrogen, which is valuable for subsequent crop. Scimitar with its early production and re-seeding traits is the perfect medic to be inter-seeded into improved pastures.
● Early to mid season maturity and production
● Excellent re-seeding traits.
● High percentage of soft seed (24%) compared to Jester Barrel medic
● Erect growth habit with high forge and seed production
● Demonstrates excellent salt tolerance during key growing period compared to other medic varieties.